For Families

Flint Water Settlement: Important Update for Flint Families

We are happy to announce the next step in the legal process of the State of Michigan, the City of Flint, McLaren Regional Medical Center, and Rowe Professional Services Co. settlement. 

The United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan has granted preliminary approval for the $641.2 million partial settlement resulting from the class action and individual lawsuits brought on behalf of Flint residents. Flint residents can now begin the process of registering to participate in the settlement.

Here is what Flint families need to know now:

What happens next? 

Flint residents now have until March 29, 2021 to register to participate in the settlement program. Those who register and are eligible to participate will then have until Thursday, August 26, 2021 to submit the documents necessary to support their claims.


This process will be managed by a court-appointed claims administrator. Monetary awards that Flint residents are entitled to receive will not be issued until after the settlement receives final approval following a public hearing held by Judge Levy. Should Judge Levy grant final approval of the settlement, nearly 80 percent of the funds will go to those who were under the age of 18 at the time of the crisis.


What is the Registration process?


If the Court preliminarily approves the Settlement, Notice will be issued explaining the process for eligible claimants to participate in the Settlement. This information will also be available on the Settlement website. The first step to participating is to submit a Registration form.  Below is some general information about the Registration process.

  • Who will need to Register? 

    • Every person, property owner, and business owner who wants to make a claim will need to fill out a Registration form.  There will be a website set up to fill out the Registration form online or a copy of the form can be printed and mailed in.


  • When will the Registration Process begin? 

    • Registration begins if Judge Levy grants the Motion to Approve.  We will keep you advised of the timeline as soon as we have additional information.


  • What will I need in order to Register? 

    • If you are filling out your own Registration form, you will not need any additional documentation.

    • If you are filling out a Registration form for someone else, you will need documentation to prove that you have the legal authority to do this.  That may mean a birth certificate for your minor child or a Court Order Appointing you as Guardian or as Personal Representative of an Estate.


  • Each situation could be different, and we will be sending you additional guidance as soon as it is finalized. 


What happens after Registration?  


Everyone who fills out a Registration Form will receive a Claims Form. We will provide you with additional guidance on information needed to file a claim as soon as it is available.


How can I get a copy of the Registration Form mailed to me?

A company has been hired by the Court to mail out copies to all Class Members.  Please be patient.


What can I do now? 


We know it is difficult, but we ask that you continue to be patient as the proposed settlement works through the legal process.


  • Medical Release Attachment:    If you or your child had a Blood Lead Test between 5/16/2014 – 8/31/2016, please fill out the Medical Release and return it to us.


  • If I want a Bone Scan, how do I get it?  We are working on this issue and will provide you with additional guidance on this very soon.


  • Will I need additional documents?  You might.  As the process is finalized, we will send you information on other documents you may need. 


Frequently Asked Questions  

Visit the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page for more in-depth information. 

© 2021 Flint Water Justice

  • Facebook